World Logic Day on January 14
On January 14 International Laboratory for Logic, Linguistics and Formal Philosophy (HSE), Department of Logic of Faculty of Philosophy (MSU), Department of Logic of Institute of Philosophy Russian Academy of Sciences held the 50th meeting of Theoretical Seminar "Formal Philosophy": the round table“Formal Philosophy: Foundations and Prospects”, devoted to the application of formal methods in philosophy.
The topics that were discussed are the following:
- How formal philosophy is possible?
- Which philosophical problems were stated or solved by the application of formal methods?
- Which open philosophical issues can be solved by formal methods?
- What is the relationship between formal philosophy and philosophical logic, between formal philosophy and mathematical philosophy, between formal philosophy and analytic philosophy?
- Do advances in formal ontology and formal epistemology trigger new demarcation of disciplinary boundaries of philosophy and cognitive sciences?
V. L. Vasyukov (Institute of Philosophy Russian Academy of Sciences/ HSE) made a report on current trends in formal philosophy. E. G. Dragalina-Chernaya(HSE), D. V. Zaitsev (MSU), A. V. Rodin (Institute of Philosophy Russian Academy of Sciences/ HSE) and V. I. Shalack (Institute of Philosophy Russian Academy of Sciences) have also participated.
The discussion was chaired by V. V. Dolgorukov (HSE) and E. G. Dragalina-Chernaya (HSE).